The concept, which basically originated from a Latin word and was derived from a common root in English, has been translated into the Turkish language as “yerelleştirme”. Localization means adaptation using the social and cultural codes of the target language. In particular, the communication language of a company that sells products or services globally should be appropriate to the culture and social structure of that area. If cultural and linguistic differences are not taken into account, neither the translation nor the company can be successful.
For this reason, localization is extremely important for a company or firm to be successful. Institutions that intend to expand to other countries’ markets need to localize their online promotion tools, in short, utilize website localization application. A website is the face of a brand in the online world. Therefore, it is extremely important to communicate directly with the consumer.
Characteristics of Website Localization
- No word-for-word translation is allowed in website localization. What matters here is to transcreate the content in accordance with the cultural codes and the features of the target language.
- Adaptation comes to the forefront rather than translation in website localization.
- Websites with a simple terminology structure can be localized much more easily.
- Website localization covers not only the translation process. Prior to translation, it is necessary to have information about the market of the target country.
- Universal programs on the website facilitate the localization process.
- In website localization, images should not be ignored. Images must also be compatible with the cultural structure of the target country.
- In website localizations, it is not enough for the translator to only have a full command of the language. He/she also needs to know about the target country and the industry in which the products or services are being offered.
- Website localization is not just a technical task, it also requires creativity.
Points to Consider in Website Localization
During the website localization stage, it is necessary to make sure that the content of the website is clear and understandable. Short and coherent sentence structures allow your message to be delivered to the consumer in the quickest way, thus enabling the translation to be made easily with fewer errors. In addition, it is necessary to be careful that there are no spelling and grammar errors. Some grammatical errors can cause semantic shifts and misunderstandings. Attention is already given to such elements in the localization studies carried out by a translation team specialized in their field.
Mirora, working with successful and experienced language professionals in its field since August 1997, also offers website localization services. If you would like to benefit from this service, you may conveniently contact us.